2019 is upon us, a time to reflect on 2018 and set resolutions for the new year. I’ve seen it countless times in the past few days – new year, new you! But why should there be a new me?
I don’t want this year to be about changing who I am, but rather embracing it. 2018 was tough, full of rough patches, self reflection, personal growth and change. But 2018 was also full of incredible experiences, new relationships and…that pesky personal growth.
As I sat down to reflect on 2018, I did so with a new perspective. At the recommendation of a good friend, I listed out my accomplishments and failures as a way to realize all I had done over the year.
I was surprised to find the things I was most proud of were related to my personal growth and authenticity. I took a risk leaving behind the life and picture of success I knew to blaze my own trail. I dug into the emotions I didn’t know were holding me back. I found love and acceptance with some incredible new friends. I opened up to my vulnerability, took risks and decided on spontaneity. I opened my heart to new people, ideas and perspectives.
I also had my failures – times I wish I had set better boundaries, and others when expectations got the best of me. I let work run my life, and have procrastinated on personal projects. But I don’t have to dwell on those things as failures – I can take them as learning experiences and know that I was enough at that point.
In the end, I’m proud to look back and realize my greatest accomplishments weren’t materialistic – they were all about finding happiness. I don’t want a new me in 2019 because I’m starting to think the current me is pretty cool. However, I do want to continue the journey towards authenticity and focus in on some intentions for living my life.
- Continue down the path of personal growth. This includes a pretty intense reading list!
- Don’t hide from the difficult emotions. Work through them one day at a time.
- Take advantage of life coaching and give it my all. In the end, I’m hoping to have clarity on my values and priorities, and the tools to follow my own path.
- Have the courage to be vulnerable. It may not happen all the time, but be proud when it does.
- Improve on my positive self talk and limit my own self criticism.
- Nurture the relationships that are important in my life. Don’t hold back – let others decide what they are willing to give.
- Travel and have new experiences. Stop planning for someday and live in the now.
- Keep blogging about the hard stuff. It may be hard to tell the story, but telling it takes away the power of shame.
- Stay in my lane. Have the courage to let others fail rather than trying to fix and control.
- Keep a sense of humor. Life happens – the only control you really have is your reaction.
- Prioritize health and well being, whether that be healthy eating or mindfulness and mental health.
- Live, explore, experience and be true.
Here’s to 2019, a year to lay the groundwork for the future while living in the now.